[F18] Cannot mount SD card

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Sat Feb 23 20:47:04 UTC 2013

On Sat, 2013-02-23 at 20:21 +0100, chedi toueiti wrote:
> After some googling, I learned that the read access switch detector is
> not that reliable and it end up detecting the wrong state. To solve
> the issue, you just have to move the lock switch just to the middle
> position between read and write.

It's not an actual switch, just a bit of moveable plastic that changes
nothing in the card.  It's rather like the record/erase protect hole in
audio and video cassettes.  When inserted in a reader, something notices
the position of the plastic, either a mechanical or optical sensor.  It
could be out of position, or some CD cards may not be built exactly to
specification.

So, there's no harm in putting it part way, but you might want to look
inside the card reader, give it a bit of a brush to remove any fluff, or
see if something's been pushed out of shape.

There's, also, every chance that some readers might pay no attention to
the protect tab, and could consider all cards read-only or write-only.
It's not a feature that I'd place great reliance on.

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.