desktop search in Fedora - what's best?

Dave Stevens geek at uniserve.com
Sat Feb 23 21:59:41 UTC 2013

Hi,

I've upgraded my Fedora from F9 to F14 with preupgrade and am now
planning a new hard drive install and a fresh Fedora install to
whatever's current when I get to it. I've wanted for a long time to
have a non-google desktop search that would index browser history and
emails at a minimum. Beagle would fill the fill. The last time I tried
it was about three years ago and it was such a cpu hog that I had to
take it out.

Reading some recent articles and reviews makes Beagle seem still to be
the tool of choice but it doesn't seem to have had much activity
recently from the developer side. Of cours, this may just be because
the feature set is complete and working, which might make it useful
and stable, a nice pair of attributes. Does anyone have better info on
this? or even better, some recent experience?

TIA

Dave

--
The problem with being cynical is you can't keep up!

-- anon. philosopher