openjdk with fedora 18/firefox 19

Suvayu Ali fatkasuvayu+linux at gmail.com
Sun Feb 24 13:01:04 UTC 2013

On Sat, Feb 23, 2013 at 05:22:21PM +0000, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> Reindl Harald wrote:
>
> >> Is there an openjdk JRE plugin for Firefox 19 under Fedora 18?
> >> Or have I misunderstood Firefox setup in some way?
> >>
> >> All the test programs to see if Java is working
> >> (eg http://www.java.com/en/download/testjava.jsp)
> >> seem to look for Sun Java
>
> > "icedtea-web" is the package with the plugin
>
> Thanks very much.
> I had forgotten that.
> But wouldn't it be simpler for this to appear among the openjdk packages?

I never understood the package name though.  Why does it have to be
called icedtea-web and not openjdk-icedtea-web or something along those
lines.  I have been on this list for a while now, and this question
comes up time and again across releases.  Often from even users familiar
with fedora for many years.

--
Suvayu