FC18 Installer is Garbage

Stephen Morris samorris at netspace.net.au
Sun Feb 24 20:21:42 UTC 2013

On 02/21/2013 04:28 AM, Bill Davidsen wrote:
> After a month of asking how to get dual boot working, on this list,
> another support list, in chat rooms, I have not had ONE SINGLE PERSON
> tell me that they installed FC18 and it found their other OS installs
> on that system, much less offered a hint how to get the other OS
> booted. I sadly conclude that Fedora has followed the Windows route
> and doesn't recognize other OS.
>
> Tried with XP, or Win7, or BSD, or FC17, all having their own
> partition(s). None worked, none were recognized, pasting grub2 stanzas
> from previous working OS failed to boot completely.
>
> Very sorry to see this.
I am confused as to what the issue here is, I have no problems
whatsoever. My machine was quite happily booting between F17, Ubuntu
12.10 and Windows 8 without issues with the grub2 boot menus being
written to the mbr on my first drive. I reformatted the boot and root
partitions and installed F18 from the dvd and it picked up windows and
ubuntu in its legacy grub menus (legacy grub is installed from the dvd),
and when I did an upgrade from the repositories, the upgrade to grub2
picked up all my oses without me having to do anything.

regards,
Steve