openjdk with fedora 18/firefox 19

Timothy Murphy gayleard at eircom.net
Mon Feb 25 14:53:18 UTC 2013

Reindl Harald wrote:

>> I realise you feel strongly on this matter,
>> but don't really understand why.
>
> because pull it AS DEPENDENCY for everyone is wrong
> and that was the question i replied?

Well, you seemed to go quite a lot further than that
in your many contributions to this thread.

I probably put my point badly.
What I should have said is that the connection of this package
to openjdk should be made clearer,
eg by calling it openjdk-... as was suggested,
since it is not at all clear that "icedtea-web" is what is needed.

>> Bizarrely, I apparently needed the plugin
>> in order to install Samsung's Unified Linux Driver
>> for my CLP-325W laser printer
>> (Without it the driver installation "wizard" simply hung
>> with a warning that the plugin was required.)
>
> Bizarrely i and many others buy hardware which is
> supported out of the box, so no reason pull it
> as dep for everyone

Actually this driver installed and worked without problem
under Fedora-17, so there was not possible way
for me to know that there would be problems with Fedora-18.

>> I also need it to access a bank account (in another country).

> my bank account works purely with HTML/Javascript

So does mine in this country.
But not in the overseas account.

--
Timothy Murphy