Scaling

"Germán A. Racca" german.racca at gmail.com
Mon Feb 25 20:48:46 UTC 2013

On 02/25/2013 05:08 PM, Richard Vickery wrote:
> [...]
>                           background, choose "Default Desktop Settings" then
>                  choose (or
>                           open) the image, then pick  the "scaled"
>         option.  I
>                  don't know
>                           how it's done in Gnome.
>
>                           Or do you mean the splash screen? I haven't
>         played with
>                  that...
>
>                           billo
>
>                           On Sun, 24 Feb 2013, Richard Vickery wrote:
>
>                               In 17 there was an easy way to scale a
>         photo for a
>                               background to the screen. In Fedora 18
>         this ease is
>                  gone. Is
>                               there a way to scale a photo to fit the screen
>                  without the
>                               ease of a button that I can do on my own?
>                               Thanks,
>
>                               Richard
>

>                       Well I cannot speak for Mr. Vickery, but I was talking
>                  about the
>                       little button that was visible when you chose an
>         image to
>                  become
>                       your desktop background in Gnome, this button gave
>         you the
>                  options
>                       of
>         Fill.....Center.....Tile......______Span......Stretch etc
>
>                  the image
>
>                       you chose. It seems that as of F18 that's al
>         changed? or was it
>                       changed within an update, because I seem to recall
>         being
>                  able to do
>                       it! But with the button gone, when you select a
>         picture,
>                  there's no
>                       way to scale it or stretch it or ANYTHING....all
>         you have
>                  is the
>                       picture, and if it's not displayed properly you're
>         pretty much
>                       "fluffed"!....
>

>                       WGO II
>

>              --
>              Germán A. Racca
>              Fedora Package Maintainer
>         https://fedoraproject.org/____wiki/User:Skytux
>         <https://fedoraproject.org/__wiki/User:Skytux>
>
>              <https://fedoraproject.org/__wiki/User:Skytux
>         <https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Skytux>>
>
>              --
>              Guidelines:
>         http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/____Mailing_list_guidelines
>         <http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/__Mailing_list_guidelines>
>
>              <http://fedoraproject.org/__wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
>         <http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines>>
>              Have a question? Ask away: http://ask.fedoraproject.org
>

>         Thanks very much German! (Please forgive my lack of the accent;
>         I lack
>         the expertise of how to add this)
>

>     You are very welcome... no problem about the accent :)
>
>     Germán.
>

> How about background- colour options with my picture; it only gives a
> black background, where before I chose blue. This option, however, is

This may help you:

$ gsettings list-keys org.gnome.desktop.background
color-shading-type
draw-background
picture-opacity
picture-options
picture-uri
primary-color
secondary-color
show-desktop-icons

$ gsettings get org.gnome.desktop.background primary-color
'#FFFFFF'

For example, to set blue background:

$ gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.background primary-color '#0000FF'

HTH,
Germán.