F18: unpredictable 'Predictable Network Interface Names'?

Marko Vojinovic vvmarko at gmail.com
Tue Feb 26 02:10:59 UTC 2013

On Mon, 25 Feb 2013 22:51:15 +0100
poma <pomidorabelisima at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 02/25/13 21:01, Reindl Harald wrote:
> […]
> > so switch to anything else as ethX in your naming in
> > /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules
> > like "lan0", "lan1", "wan0", "wan1" in ifcfg-lan1....
> >
> > so you would not have race-conditions in kernel/udev naming the
> > interfaces

Just a small comment --- I believe everyone following this thread is
aware that these race conditions are the very reason for the
introduction of biosdevname in the first place.

In order to avoid race conditions, one can either use biosdevname and
have eth* be replaced by different names like em* and p*p*, or one can
disable biosdevname, configure udev manually, and have have eth* be
replaced by names like lan* and wan*.

The actual difference between the two methods is about system
maintenance --- when your network card burns out (these things happen,
unfortunately), biosdevname allows you to plug a new card into the same
pci slot and just turn the machine back on, with no extra
configuration. If you are configuring udev manually, and tie nic names
to MAC addresses, you are required to reconfigure udev for
the new MAC address of the new card.

The pain is greater in the latter case, while I see no gain at all,
compared to the way of biosdevname.

Maybe the OP can enlighten me *why* does he need MAC-oriented naming
scheme so badly? Just curious... :-)

Best, :-)
Marko