NFS Client: Backup preparation problem

Michael E. Maher michael at maheronline.co.uk
Thu Feb 28 18:35:38 UTC 2013

Hi Amit,

On Thu, 2013-02-28 at 17:39 +0800, Amit Karpe wrote:

> If I used no_root_squash in /etc/exports on server I can access
> directory without problem.
> /disk12   172.21.123.219(rw,sync,no_root_squash)
>
> What can be the problem ?

You have kind of answered your own question here. If you need root
access to the files from the client, you will need the 'no_root_squash'.
All that option does is honour your clients root user over the NFS share
(not great for security but I don't know your set up details).

Other than that you'd have to manage the users on both systems, to be
the same name/uid/gid etc.. and do everything as a non-root user (better
for security).

Take a look at this link[0] and hopefully that should clear it all up.

Thanks,
Michael

[0]http://www.troubleshooters.com/linux/nfs.htm#_If_it_mounts_but_cant_access