Multiboot question

David G. Miller dave at davenjudy.org
Thu Feb 28 23:33:21 UTC 2013

Christopher Meng <cickumqt <at> gmail.com> writes:

<SNIP>
> sd3.    55GB not parted
> sd4.    32GB not parted
> Now I want to install Fedora 17 on sd3 or sd4, but I don't know howto. From
Anaconda I failed evrrytime for not enough space or some other reasons.
> So any hints availabe? I think two lvm is the way of installing dual Fedora,
isn't it?

I was hoping someone else who actually remembered how to do this would respond
to your question.  That hasn't happened so I'll give it my best shot.

I run Fedora from a 400GB external hard disk for my laptop (long story). I more
or less divide the disk between the current Fedora release and the previous
release.  That way, by the time the previous release is no longer supported,
there is a new release to try and the current release is relatively stable.  So,
currently, I have FC 18 on one partition set and FC 17 on the other.

It took several tries to find where the option is hidden but there is a button
on option of some kind on the partition screen that allows you to install over
existing partitions.  Unfortunately, I don't remember exactly where it is or the
label.  I just remember that it wasn't at all obvious.

Restart your installation.  Poke around on the partitioning screen.  There is a
well hidden option for installing to existing partitions.  Once you find that,
you get the familiar installer partition tool for assigning partitions to mount
points and the option to format the partition or not.

Cheers,
Dave