Boot with 1.44" Floppy, then net install from thumb drive?

M de Luis gimme_the_giffs at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 2 13:32:30 UTC 2013

Hello Michael. Thanks for your very welcome message and assistance.

Yep, it looks as though the only USB hardware that my bios understands during setup or boot is the USB floppy drive that came with the laptop. The bios' USB legacy setting does affect the ability to boot as you have correctly indicated, but only for the recognized floppy drive. I tried connecting other USB devices such as cameras and memory card readers, but nothing seems to interest the bios except the floppy drive. That being the case, then I'm not all that confident that booting from an external USB CD drive would achieve success. Happily there may be a simpler solution.

I had a quick look at the PXE server idea that you proposed too, Michael. This is a new concept for me, and I'll come back to it for a better appreciation when I get a quiet moment. I think it could be installed on an old FC10 system that I haven't run much for a while now, though I came to a point where the setup complexity began to look excessive, especially when contrast against temporarily shifting the laptop hard drive to a USB bootable machine for the installation, then hoping it remains operational when transferred back to the laptop. Well, both plans have their drawbacks, though I think a more satisfactory work-around may exist.

When I copied the Net installation iso of Fedora to my USB flash drive using the Fedora LiveUSB creator, I noticed that the pre-existing FAT32 filesystem on the thumb drive had been unaltered, and that DOS readable files for the live image and Network installation had been added in 4-new directories. Presumably some sort of boot loader, that is able to read the FAT32 filesystem files, was added to the boot sector region of the flash drive. As soon as I am able to recreate this mystery boot loader's installation process for a FAT32 formatted IDE drive, then the problem is licked. It's no effort to boot the laptop from a Windows98 rescue disk using the floppy drive, create a temporarily bootable DOS partition for the Net installation files, and then given the bios' legacy USB support will allow, merely copy the appropriate installation directories and files from the thumb drive to the hard disk. Install the boot loader, and away you go.

Okay, so who can tell me which bootloader is written into a thumb drive's boot sector, when the Fedora LiveUSB Creator tool prepares a USB flash drive using one of the installation iso images?

Very long winded, sorry. Thanks for the read, and for any contributions toward consideration and resolution of the matter.

T.