yum in the tarpits (was Re: blacklisting domains for yum?)

Joel Rees joel.rees at gmail.com
Wed Jan 2 14:24:05 UTC 2013

Well, Ed. I guess I have to look closer to home for my problems with yum.

yum update, and the fedora/primary_db part goes just fine, maxes my
connection. Then updates/primary_db bogs down to averaging a kilobyte
per second. The mirror for both is riken this time, here in Japan,
FWIW. Should unblock the .cn domain to see if I can find out more.
HTTP access has no problems, even while yum is bogged down.

Do we have problems in the mirrors, or has my database for
updates/primary_db gone wonky?

Clean all doesn't help.

On Wed, Jan 2, 2013 at 11:07 PM, Joel Rees <joel.rees at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 2, 2013 at 10:31 AM, Ed Greshko <Ed.Greshko at greshko.com> wrote:
>>> Definitely a possibility, particularly considering the timing. New
>>> Year's morning here was impossible.
>>>
>>> But not for the whole net.
>>>
>>> Read in the newspapers there were some attacks in progress in the
>>> Chinese segment around that time, so that might have also been part of
>>> it.
>>
>> I live in Taiwan and work with folks in China.  No problems for me to connect and transfer files.  Also, my wife watches streaming video from China and she has had no problems during the times you were citing.  I avoided making any comments at that time since this lists isn't a forum for political or country bashing.  Even though they may not comment on this list, please note that folks in countries being bashed do read this list and some of them may take offense.
>>

> Thanks for the different point of view.
>
> I should have been specific about the attacks being "cyber attacks" or
> "internet attacks", but I didn't read the articles, just the
> headlines, so, who knows?
>
> Mea culpa. I'll look for the articles in the old newspaper pile if
> you're interested in what was being said.
>
> BTW, did you try pulling down updates on the 29th to 31st after about 11:00 pm?
>
> All I know for sure is that yum on my netbook kept getting hung up
> trying to read repositories on Chinese mirrors, so I installed
> fastestmirror and blocked .cn domains, and that seemed to help.
>
> It's the only box I have that runs Fedora right now.
>
> apt-get on my Debian systems had no issues, neither was there any
> particular problem getting to websites. Different set of mirrors. The
> Fedora mirrors in China that seemed to hang me up were all university
> mirrors. Possibilities that crossed my mind was that students were
> celebrating on the 'net or that the government's filters were hard at
> work against the universities. Saw the headlines the next day and
> assumed there had been DOS and other attacks going on.
>
> --
> Joel Rees

Joel Rees