F17: no keyboard response, mouse/trackpad okay, can ssh in

Joel Rees joel.rees at gmail.com
Thu Jan 3 12:03:57 UTC 2013

After the problems of the last weekend, starting getting strange stuff
where the keyboard would freeze if sat on the screensaver login screen
too long. Problem got worse, and after (finally) getting a good (?)
yum update, and installing the GIMP, inkscape, libreoffice, and some
others, a reboot and no keyboard response at all. Not even switching
to a virtual screen.

I can ssh in and systemctl isolate multi-user.target and get a console
and the keyboard works just fine in the console, so it's an X11 issue.
Found an old thread for F17 where reloading the evdev stuff and
generating a new config (xorg -configure, I think) fixed a problem
with no keyboard/mouse, and I tried reloading xorg-x11-drv-evdev and
runing xorg -configure and got a segfault or something similar and no
new configuration file. (No xorg.conf to start with, FWIW.)

Haven't find any relavent error messages in /var/log so far.

Any ideas what's going on here?

--
Joel Rees