laptops with 1200 vertical resolution - went off topic about out-of-date computer systems

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Sun Jan 6 10:45:11 UTC 2013

Am 06.01.2013 08:07, schrieb Tim:
> As far as Fedora 9 goes, it's the last release of Fedora that I actually
> like, *and* runs well on this hardware (a laptop, and on low spec
> desktop computer).

so thats a problem, but it needs to be solved

> Fedora 11 is the last version that I've tried on the
> laptop that runs well, but I don't really like it.

so you stay on a HORRIBLE unsecure system forever?

boy you are using simply the wrong distribution
go and install CentOS5

> And it's a major pain to update an OS and keep data (backups,
> restores, fiddly installs trying not to delete data, or the
> disastrously risky and messy to
> clean-up afterwards "upgrade over the top").

come on i am doing it twice a year for around 30 setups
most of them are production servers, the rest workstations

there is no problem with YUM, but yes, the way YOU let outdate
a setup upgrades does not work at all

> On this laptop, Fedora 9 works how I want it to, and so does
> the software I'm using with it. There really is no need to
> change it, until web browser incompatibilities become too extreme.

this is bullshit, as long as you are connectd to the internet
you have to take care about security because this is no
longer your private thing if your crippled machine is used from
third parties to attack others

> the Fedora 9 software I'm using seems to be
> fairly stable and bug free, as far as any software goes.

BUG FREE?

the F9 kernel has security bugs as big as a house
the browser has security bugs as big as a city