cant run unetbootin-linux-583

Ed Greshko Ed.Greshko at greshko.com
Sun Jan 6 15:47:41 UTC 2013

On 01/06/2013 11:24 PM, Aaron Konstam wrote:
> On Sun, 2013-01-06 at 12:03 +0800, Ed Greshko wrote:
>> On 01/06/2013 11:13 AM, Robert Moskowitz wrote:
>>> $ ./unetbootin-linux-583
>>>
>>> ./unetbootin-linux-583: error while loading shared libraries: libpng12.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
>>>
>>> # yum provides libpng12
>>> Loaded plugins: langpacks, presto, refresh-packagekit
>>> No Matches found
>>> [root at lx120e2 ~]# yum provides libpng12.so.0
>>> Loaded plugins: langpacks, presto, refresh-packagekit
>>> 2:libpng-compat-1.5.10-1.fc17.i686 : Temporary backwards-compatibility copy of old libpng
>>> Repo        : fedora
>>> Matched from:
>>> Provides    : libpng12.so.0
>>>
>>> # yum install libpng-compat
>>>
>>> And I still get:
>>>
>>> $ ./unetbootin-linux-583
>>> ./unetbootin-linux-583: error while loading shared libraries: libpng12.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
>>>
>>> So how do I get this to work?  FWIW, my system is a x86_64 install.
>>>

>> What is unetbootin-linux-583 ?   I installed unetbootin from the F17 repositories and that file doesn't exist.  And "whatprovides" returns nothing.
>>
>> --
>> Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning. -- Rick Cook, The Wizardry Compiled
> unetbootin is not found in Fedoora repos. Itnet is doenloaded from :
> unetbootin.sourceeforge.net

Sorry, you are incorrect....

Name        : unetbootin
Arch        : x86_64
Version     : 0
Release     : 12.581bzr.fc18
Size        : 500 k
Repo        : fedora/18/x86_64
Summary     : Create bootable Live USB drives for a variety of Linux distributions
URL         : http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/
License     : GPLv2+
Description : UNetbootin allows you to create bootable Live USB drives for a
            : variety of Linux distributions from Windows or Linux, without
            : requiring you to burn a CD. You can either let it download one of
            : the many distributions supported out-of-the-box for you, or supply
            : your own Linux .iso file if you've already downloaded one or your
            : preferred distribution isn't on the list.