Default mailto application on Fedora 17

Ranjan Maitra maitra.mbox.ignored at inbox.com
Sun Jan 6 15:54:43 UTC 2013

On Sun, 6 Jan 2013 09:13:03 -0600 Aaron Konstam
<akonstam at sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> On Sat, 2013-01-05 at 21:30 -0800, Dave Close wrote:
> > I'm running Fedora 17 with the KDE desktop. KDE's system settings
> > ("control panel") claims the default mailto application is Kmail. And,
> > since Gnome is still present, I see that it thinks the default mailto
> > application is Evolution. I don't see anything in /etc/alternatives
> > that seems relevant to a mailto handler.
> >
> > Firefox says, "Firefox normally uses your operating
> > system's default mail program to send an e-mail message."
> > <http://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/change-program-used-open-email-links>)
> > But Firefox says the default handler is Thunderbird. Where the hell is
> > Firefox finding that value? And Firefox doesn't offer either of the
> > other two "defaults", Kmail or Evolution, as options (except through
> > the "other program" mechanism).
> >
> > Can anyone explain what's going on?
> >
> > I'd like to change the mailto handler. But I need to pass some arguments
> > to my program and Firefox doesn't offer that ability itself. To get that
> > ability, I need to be able to change the system default so that Firefox
> > recognizes the change. But where is Firefox finding the "default"?
> > --
> >          Dave Close, Compata, Irvine CA       +1 714 434 7359
> >        dave at compata.com              dhclose at alumni.caltech.edu
> >    "The world will little note nor long remember what we say here."
> >
> In Gnome you change the Defaults in:
>  Applications-:System Tools->System Settings-> Defaults. Something similar should be in KDE,
> --

Actually, I have had (for a long while) a similar (perhaps not exactly
the same) irritating problem with regard to reading pdf documents in
firefox.

Here is what happens (only on my 64-bit notebook running LXDE, not the
older 32-bit desktop running the same with the exact same
configuration files that I have set and can tell):

I click to download the pdf from a link (using Firefox). I am asked how
I want to open it (helpfully, use /usr/bin/epdfview). I note that this
button is checked and say "okay/yes/whatever". The file downloads all
right, but opens using "gv". The only way I have been able to get
"epdfview", not "gv" to open it is by uninstalling gv.

Any ideas as to what I should do to get rid of this? The applications
page in the Firefox page does say always ask (with the option to set at
epdfview). Regardless of what I set it to, it opens using gv unless gv
does not exist on the system.

Any ideas where the hidden gem controlling this feature is?

It is a firefox issue, simply because all other applications (sylpheed,
etc) use epdfview by default.

Many thanks and best wishes,
Ranjan