Building a 1pb volume

aragonx at dcsnow.com aragonx at dcsnow.com
Wed Jan 9 15:09:03 UTC 2013

Hi,

I'm looking to build a 1PB (usable) volume on a Fedora or
Redhat platform.  The volume (has to be a single volume) will be
shared out by NFS.  My considerations in the order of importance
are:

Data loss
Cost
Speed

I am currently
considering some less expensive storage arrays using 4TB SAS disks in 5+1
RAID 5 configurations (each array would be responsible for 10 such
volumes).  This will give me one level of protection.  Then I'm
going to propose a DR site with a full second set of storage.  That
will give me a 2nd level of protection.

Now I would like a 3rd
level of protection and I thought about using GlusterFS.  If I read
it right, it would duplicate the data in a way so that it doesn't reside
in a single place.

So, has anyone used Gluster?
Does anyone have any other suggestions that might work for a situation
like this?  All options are currently on the table so it's play
time!  :)

Thanks!

believed to be clean.