Building a 1pb volume

aragonx at dcsnow.com aragonx at dcsnow.com
Wed Jan 9 16:04:53 UTC 2013

09.01.2013 17:09, aragonx at dcsnow.com wrote:

>> Data
loss
> this is a matter of backup strategy, you mean availability
here?

This is a long term archive and this data will only
reside here.

> afaik the biggest SAS disks are 900GB, you
mean NL-SAS? Even with the
> 4TB disks (which I would not
recommend since they are ridiculously
> overpriced compared to
3GB) in RAID + Hotspare we're talking ~300 Disks
> here. How do
you plan to house, connect, power and monitor them?

calculated we would need 3 racks for the arrays, servers and
switches.  We have the space in our datacenter so that won't be an
issue.

> so you want a redundant storage system? Over what
link would you plan
> to sync the two storages?

The
application would probably write to both clusters at the same time.
The application has two sites also and I would locate this storage close
to it.

> This sound all very ambitious to me. Maybe you
should consider buying
> an entry-level or even mid-range storage
system like IBM DS3512 or
> similar...

We have been
looking at a Dell PowerValut group of arrays or the Compellent  (BSD
isn't so bad).  I'll take a closer look at the IBM too.  But
since this data will exist no where else, I would like some additional
redundancy above the security the array and DR site provide.

So
far, complete solutions to handle all of this go well above my budget.

Thank you!

believed to be clean.