tune2fs -E hash_alg=half_md4: safe for existing filesystems?

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Wed Jan 9 18:18:32 UTC 2013

Reindl Harald wrote:
> i have some older filesystems with
> Default directory hash: tea
>
> is change them to "half_md4" safe?
> tune2fs -E hash_alg=half_md4 /dev/sdc1
>
> they are all created short before the following commit:
> http://git.whamcloud.com/?p=tools/e2fsprogs.git;a=commitdiff_plain;h=d1070d91b4de8438dc78c034283baaa19b31d25e

I would try this on something you can afford to lose... I just don't see any
more info on this than you did before asking. I am curious, since I have an
application which creates about 26k files per day in a directory, and
performance gets a little iffy just before midnight.

No, I'm not going to rewrite it to work differently, I would have to do that for
each update. Yes, it's already on SSD.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>