FC16 or 17 Live USB not working on laptop

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Wed Jan 9 19:09:47 UTC 2013

I'm ready to update a laptop from fc11 to something current (kernel and some
apps are upgraded by hand). I want to boot from Live-CD just to be sure the
hardware like me, and sure enough it doesn't.

I started with the fc16 version, 64bit, and it came up to the GNOME3 wallpaper,
moved the cursor to the upper left corner, and stopped. I never got the rest of
the shell, although the cursor moves in response to the touchpad. I checked,
terminal access was up, nothing I saw in logs told me anything.

Since I had an fc17 32bit USB also in my pocket I tried that. Same response, the
"throbbing meatball" graphic boot, wallpaper, active cursor, no apps. Terminal
is active and looks fine. FC17 has a basic graphics boot option, so I tried
that, which uses the vesa driver for X. This time I got the "marching squares"
boot display, followed by the same problem.

I booted again, using the radeon driver (radeon 1250 hardware) and not change at
all, other than the boot was now the graphic one again. Played with nomodeset
boot option, didn't help. Did a power cycle cold boot each time to be sure the
graphics card is clean.

So, I know that useful radeon support is provided by the vendor driver from
rpmfusion, and I have no issue with that other than how do I install so I can
use the driver? Anyone have a trick I missed? I did all previous installs using
the vesa driver and had no issue, so what now? I can run FC17 in a VM using KVM,
but that's hardly a solution, just a data point.

Thoughts?
--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>