Addressing convention -

Bob Goodwin - Zuni, Virginia, USA bobgoodwin at wildblue.net
Wed Jan 9 22:19:30 UTC 2013

On 09/01/13 12:54, g wrote:
> On 01/07/2013 09:13 PM, Bob Goodwin - Zuni, Virginia, USA wrote:
> <>
>
>> I want to block addresses until I stop the bleeding
> hello bob.
>
> here/how are you blocking?
>
> on daughter's mac or server?
>
> /etc/host, or other?

        I was trying to block ranges of URL's in the router but
        apparently they can't handle that. I have been struggling with
        computer problems for a couple of days, learning about the
        limitations of the typical home router. I wanted to block a
        range of URLs like 165.254.0.0/16 but no, they wont do that, a
        specific address like 165.254.156.83, or simply the word
        "akamai" will get it blocked, but I don't think that's
        sufficient for my need.

        Presently we have simply pulled the Ethernet plug on her
        computer, she can reconnect if she needs to but can't leave it
        on. She is threatening to buy a new computer and start over?
        Female logic!

        So it's a continuing effort, hopefully I'll find the offending
        app. before she goes shopping.

        There must be one hundred applications active on that computer
        and one of them is trying to suck up the whole internet. It's an
        dual quad core Apple Mac and I hesitate to do anything with it
        lest I leave it in some condition where she can't get her data.

        Bob

--

http://www.qrz.com/db/W2BOD

box7