OT?: GNU Public License for files

T.C. Hollingsworth tchollingsworth at gmail.com
Wed Jan 9 22:45:36 UTC 2013

On 1/9/13, Ranjan Maitra <maitra.mbox.ignored at inbox.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 9 Jan 2013 16:22:18 +0100 Marcel Hellwig <keks at cookiesoft.de>
> wrote:
> Thanks for this information: it makes sense! How does one go about
> getting this CCL license? On Wikimedia, it appears that one just
> declares the license, but what if I am not posting on wikimedia? Does
> one just claim it in the file?

Pretty much.  Something like "This work is licensed under a Creative
Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.
<http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/>" will do the trick.
You'll notice they have a "Use this license for your own work" link at
the bottom of the previous link with useful tips, icons, and such.

The Attribution-ShareAlike license is probably the closest in spirit
to the GPL, I might add.

-T.C.