Addressing convention -

Bob Goodwin - Zuni, Virginia, USA bobgoodwin at wildblue.net
Thu Jan 10 00:42:27 UTC 2013

On 09/01/13 19:03, Joe Zeff wrote:

> You may need to check your filters in Thunderbird.  If nothing else,
> telling it that anything addressed to this list is to be left in the
> Inbox might be a Good Idea unless you've reason to filter out specific
> users.  Also, some judicious editing of /etc/hosts (or its equivalent
> on your daughter's Mac) can make the problematic domains unreachable
> for her by mapping them to 127.0.0.1.  I'm not sure if that's what's
> needed, or it it's more heavy-handed than you want, but it is a
> possible solution.
> --

        I do a lot of Thunderbird filtering, normally this list is
        filtered into the "Fedora" directory, sometimes it seems to pick
        up on something else but that is unusual. I am quite satisfied
        with the way it works.

        I did not realize there was an /etc/hosts file in the Mac, had
        not considered that, just saw it while reading through the stuff
        George sent earlier. Still, I am not comfortable changing stuff
        in the Mac, don't even know what it has for a text editor
        although I'm sure I would find it quickly. But I'm afraid I can
        still get myself in a corner and not know how to fix what damage
        I might do.

        I would prefer to work on the router if possible. I would like
        to find the application that is causing the heavy usage and tell
        her to kill it, I tried to convince her to quit all the
        applications this morning but met with resistance, always
        worried she will lose data, "how will I restart them?" and I am
        no authority!

        Bob

        --

        http://www.qrz.com/db/W2BOD