Install fails with Xorg segfault on fc17

Alex mysqlstudent at gmail.com
Thu Jan 10 01:08:51 UTC 2013

Hi,

I'm trying to install fc17 from a USB key and the graphical install
crashes with a segfault and falls back to text-mode install. I have an
Asus P8B-M motherboard with an onboard "Aspeed AST2050 with 16MB VRAM"
video chip.

How can I copy the /tmp/X.org log file to the USB key so I can attempt
to find out what's wrong? Would it even benefit anyone or help with
getting it installed on my system?

What are my options right now? I know I could probably go back to fc16
or wait until fc18 and hope it's fixed, or buy another video card, but
I'd like to see if there's something I'm missing that I can do right
now. Text mode isn't an option for me, because I need better control
over the disk formatting options.

Ideas greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Alex