Addressing convention -

g geleem at bellsouth.net
Thu Jan 10 02:29:14 UTC 2013

On 01/10/2013 12:42 AM, Bob Goodwin - Zuni, Virginia, USA wrote:
<>

> I do a lot of Thunderbird filtering, normally this list is
> filtered into the "Fedora" directory, sometimes it seems to pick
> up on something else but that is unusual.

could be you need to tweak your filters. enable filter logging and
send me know what is happening when error occurs.

the one thing i do not like about thunderbird filtering is that you
can not set up 'algebraic' type expressions in one filter setup. you
can 'or' 2 'and's with 2 setups, but you can not 'and' 2 'or's.

at least not with filter setup routine. i have not try to do so
external of routine yet. *yet*.

> I would prefer to work on the router if possible. I would like
> to find the application that is causing the heavy usage and tell
> her to kill it,

using wireshark on router can answer your questions. it will not tell
you what application she is using, but it will tell you where apps
are going.

wireshark can be setup to just monitor your daughter's computer and
then sort by destination to see what occurs most. you can also set
sampling interval if you wish.

i have use wireshark many times to monitor my internet browsing and
from data collected, i have added sites to /etc/host file to eliminate
a lot of unwanted ad sites, plus a lot of other garbage links.

i have 'played' with wireshark for a number of years. from what i saw
in 'preferences', i knew that i had a lot to learn. this week i finally
join their user list to learn more about wireshark.

> I tried to convince her to quit all the applications this morning but
> met with resistance, always worried she will lose data, "how will I
> restart them?" and I am no authority!

sounds like she has a misconception of applications and data. :)

--

peace out.

tc.hago,

.