badblocks reporting different results each run?

Michael D. Setzer II mikes at kuentos.guam.net
Thu Jan 10 20:55:13 UTC 2013

I have a system is showing different badblock reports for each
run? Not sure why a block would show problem on one run, and
then fine on another.

Did a long smartctl selftest on the disk and it complete with no
errors, but smartctl -l error /dev/sda does show ICRC errors.
badblocks doesn't report any errors on partition /dev/sda1 or
/dev/sda3, but on the /dev/sda2 which is the LVM with root and
swap. Also, see badblocks reporting different results on
/dev/dm-0.

Have an image backup of disk from 12/16 that I have restored to a
new disk on another machine, but have not yet had a chance to
try swapping it this system. Full memtest scan shows no errors,
and disk is only about 1 year old (if memory servers).  1T disk.

Suggestions on other testing that might be done, or why
badblocks would be reporting various errors.

Thanks.

  Guam Community College  Computer Center
  mailto:mikes at kuentos.guam.net
  mailto:msetzerii at gmail.com
  http://www.guam.net/home/mikes
  Guam - Where America's Day Begins
  G4L Disk Imaging Project maintainer
  http://sourceforge.net/projects/g4l/

Number of Seti Units Returned:  19,471
(Total Hours: 287,489)

BOINC at HOME CREDITS
SETI        13632762.365403   |   EINSTEIN     9623437.429852
ROSETTA      5785699.490997   |   ABC         15720313.566625