Fedora 18: Install with LVM on RAID 1

Guido Winkelmann guido-fedora-users at unknownsite.de
Fri Jan 11 17:08:50 UTC 2013

Hi,

How can I make the Fedora installer install the OS in Logical Volumes that lie
on top of a RAID 1 MD-device?

I have some fairly specific ideas about how I want my harddisk space used,
which previous versions of Fedora would allow with no problems:

sda1 -> /boot

sda2 \
      -> md0 -> PV -> VG -> various different system LVs
sdb2 /

sda3 \
      -> md1 -> used directly as data partition
sdb3 /

sda5 -> another data partition

sdb5 -> another data partition

The parts below md0 are not so important, I can easily add those manually
after the system is installed and up and running (provided the installer will
graciously leave me some unpartitioned space on my hds - another aspect that
seems needlessly hard to control with the new partitioning tool). However, the
parts on md0 really need to be supported by the installer itself, because
that's where the actual OS is installed, and I just cannot seem to figure out
how to make it do it this way. All it ever seems to do is collect all the
available unpartitioned hd space on all selected hds and combine it into one
large Volume Group...

	Guido