How to Set/Get UUID for a NIC

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Sat Jan 12 11:01:22 UTC 2013

Allegedly, on or about 11 January 2013, Alan Cox sent:
> The MAC has to be *host* unique not port unique. Thus some old SPARC
> boxes have one Mac for all the ports. Many Ethernet bridges also do
> the same trick.

I would have thought they'd need to be LAN unique, since the MAC is used
for communication between the right NICs on a LAN.  How's that going to
work when they're not unique.

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -rsvp
Linux 3.6.10-2.fc17.x86_64 #1 SMP Tue Dec 11 18:07:34 UTC 2012 x86_64

public lists.