The latest victim of systemd's PrivateTmp…

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Tue Jan 15 02:57:33 UTC 2013

Rick Stevens writes:

> On 01/14/2013 05:38 PM, Sam Varshavchik issued this missive:
>> Rick Stevens writes:
>>
>>> On 01/14/2013 05:15 PM, Sam Varshavchik issued this missive:

>>> Did you check to see if you have any selinux log entries pertaining to
>>> this? "Operation not permitted" smells selinux-ishy to me.
>>
>> This stripped down box does not use selinux.
>>
>> Jan 14 06:54:40 shorty kernel: [    3.219771] SELinux:  Disabled at
>> runtime.
>> Jan 14 06:54:40 shorty kernel: [    3.249018] type=1404
>> audit(1358164472.135:2): selinux=0 auid=4294967295 ses=4294967295
>>
>> /etc/selinux/config has SELINUX=disabled
>>
>> The only thing that comes to mind that I have non-standard is:
>>
>> [root at shorty ~]# ls -al /var/www
>> lrwxrwxrwx. 1 root root 11 Apr 19  2011 /var/www -> ../home/www
>>
>> But if this caused some unfathomable problem with systemd's PrivateTmp,
>> I'd expect apache to barf, instead of systemd whining.
>
> That isn't a broken link, is it, or some permissions issue where
> systemd (or Apache) doesn't have access to /home/www? I can see /var/www
> being a symlink to /home/<someuser>/www or even /home/www, but does
> the apache user have write access to it?

As I wrote before: after disabling PrivateTmp for httpd.service, Apache
comes up just fine.

It would quite an impressive accomplishment if the presence of PrivateTmp
directive in httpd.service would somehow break and unbreak, repeatedly, a
symlink somewhere else in the filesystem.

Furthermore, if, somehow were that to be the case, everything that I've ever
learned about Unix or Linux tells me that it would be apache crapping all
over my syslog, instead of systemd.