Howto fedup?

Neal Becker ndbecker2 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 15 16:53:55 UTC 2013

Phil Dobbin wrote:

> On 01/15/2013 04:37 PM, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 2013-01-15 at 11:27 -0500, Neal Becker wrote:
>>> How do I use fedup to update f17->f18 (via net)?
>>>
>>> I tried:
>>> sudo fedup --network 18
>>> setting up repos...
>>> default-installrepo/metalink                             |  26 kB     00:00
>>> Could not parse metalink
>>> https://mirrors.fedoraproject.org/metalink?repo=fedora-
>>> install-18&arch=x86_64 error was No repomd file
>>> Error: can't get boot images.
>>> The installation repo isn't available.
>>> You need to specify one with --instrepo.
>>
>> Same here. Note that the Fedup page says:
>>
>>         If you're following these instructions before F18 goes GA
>>         (currently scheduled for 2013-01-15), you do need to use the
>>         --instrepo argument as shown here. You may also end up with many
>>         fc17 packages on your system after upgrade - this is not a bug
>>         with fedup but a side effect of the release process. Once F18
>>         goes GA, the updates repository will be available and this
>>         problem should go away.
>>
>> It then gives this example:
>>
>> sudo fedup-cli --network 18 --debuglog fedupdebug.log --instrepo
>> http://dl.fedoraproject.org/pub/alt/qa/fedup/f18-RC4/<arch>
>>
>> (substituting for <arch>). This seems to work.
>
> RC4 was the final candidate decided at the final 18 Go/No meeting so it
> is, in effect, I think the GM.
>
> Cheers,
>
>   Phil...

I used:

--instrepo http://tflink.fedorapeople.org/fedup/f18-upgrade/x86_64/

Got as far as 'reboot to upgrade'.  It's started reboot - but so far just seeing
the (somewhat animated) fedora logo for several minutes.  It's either totally
hung, or doing something.  Alt-ctrl-f1/f2 don't do anything.  Probably hung.
I'll see after lunch what happened.