OT Motherboard max ram, dmidecode ?

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Tue Jan 15 18:13:27 UTC 2013

On Tue, 2013-01-15 at 11:57 +0000, Frank Murphy wrote:
> http://fpaste.org/jijW/  ctrl-f : "this line"
>
> does this mean my board can take 16gb ram?
>
> Their website says 8gb
> http://www.msi.com/product/mb/P35-Platinum.html#/?div=Basic

With caution, as per Bryn's message, I would have said yes it can.

The DMI decode says you have 4 DIMM slots, it says max module size is 4
gigs, and max mem size is 16 gigs.  4 x 4 = 16.

If you have a 4 gig DIMM, try it and see if it works, in any one of the
slots.

Sometime the manuals/published-specs are behind some upgrade to the
motherboard, or just plain wrong.  Also, sometimes the DMI decode data
is wrong, as it's just decoding the information provided by the
manufacturer, in the board, which may be wrong.

You can see all sorts of examples of bad use of provided data, on some
machines, when you see things like it reporting serial numbers of
1234567890, or CPU clock speeds that don't work.

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.