background task to wget Fedora 18

Rick Stevens ricks at alldigital.com
Tue Jan 15 18:28:15 UTC 2013

On 01/15/2013 07:55 AM, Chris Adams issued this missive:
> Once upon a time, Robert Moskowitz <rgm at htt-consult.com> said:
>> Well the new release is out, and I am away at IEEE 802 wireless meeting
>> across the continent from my server.
>>
>> Normally when I am fetching a new distro, I am local and VNC into my
>> server (over SSH), open a terminal window and start the wget.  At any
>> time I can reopen a VNC connection and see how the download(s) is
>> doing.
>
> Check out "screen".  It is a terminal multiplexer that supports detach
> and re-attach ("control-A d" detaches and "screen -r" re-attaches).

screen is your friend! I use it a LOT! I'm with Chris in thinking it's
the best solution to your problem. You can launch it detached by using:

	screen -d -m "wget ...."

That will create a screen session, run the wget in it and detach your
console. Later, you can "screen -r" to reattach to that session and you
can watch its progress. "ctrl-a d" in the screen window would detach
again and let it run in the background.

Alternately, just run "screen". In the subsequent window, run your
wget command, and hit "ctrl-a d" to detatch from the screen session.
The rest of the commands I mention above are still valid.

Once you reattach and see that the wget is done, just "exit" to
terminate the screen session. Easy peasy.