Yum update after f17 -> f18 fedup via iso

Frank Murphy frankly3d at gmail.com
Wed Jan 16 06:43:52 UTC 2013

On Tue, 15 Jan 2013 20:19:39 -0430
Patrick O'Callaghan <pocallaghan at gmail.com> wrote:

> Was my meaning too hard to understand? The previous poster is
> replying to my comment about using fedup followed by yum update.
> It's entirely logical to ask what he means by "safer".

apologies was in bed.

> I'm still wondering what "nvr" means.
>
> poc

https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/Fedora_Draft_Documentation/0.1/html/RPM_Guide/ch09s03.html
Naming the Package
The most important part of the package description is the NVR, or
Name-Version-Release information, because this information is so
crucial for the RPM system to compare versions and track
dependencies.

Which means that Fedora N (17) can have a greater version,
that Fedora N+1 (i8) . yum update gets caught as it will keep
the higher version (the wrong one)
But yum distro-sync will clean up those accidental fubars.

--
Regards,
Frank

"Byte my kernel"