Restarting fedup

Patrick O'Callaghan pocallaghan at gmail.com
Wed Jan 16 19:28:33 UTC 2013

On Wed, 2013-01-16 at 07:03 +0000, Frank Murphy wrote:
> On Tue, 15 Jan 2013 20:09:04 -0430
> Patrick O'Callaghan <pocallaghan at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > So I decided to try fedup using the network install option. Spent
> > most of the day downloading over 2700 packages (I have a whole
> > 1Mbps link, woohoo), rebooted, selected the System Upgrade option,
> > then sat watching the Fedora logo fade in, fade out, fade in , fade
> > out, ... with no sign that any progress was being made. Is this
> > right?
>
> currentl yes,
> try upgrade from telinit 3, with rhgb, quite  removed
> (or their modern equivs).
>

> > How can I avoid wasting even more hours on this? Is there no way to
> > tell fedup where to look for the new packages other than the
> > network or an ISO file?
> >
> I don't believe so at the moment.
> no man page being available, only "fedup-cli --help"
> Unless move the downloaded files to the side.
> Use createrepo to make a local  repo.
> then:
> --repourl REPO=URL   add a repo named REPO at the given URL
> as part of a network update?

It didn't work, just went back to downloading everything again.

In fact I'm wondering if I could just put the System Upgrade line back
into grub.cfg and reboot, but I didn't make a copy of it the first time
so it would be easy to screw up.

The Update boot script removes the line from boot.cfg as almost the
first thing it does (i.e. without waiting to see if the upgrade worked),
which seems wrong, but maybe the procedure is not meant to be
idempotent. No doubt the docs explain it. Oh wait ...

poc