any foss bitmap editor which can do this?

Alan Cox alan at lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk
Fri Jan 18 10:31:54 UTC 2013

On Thu, 17 Jan 2013 23:58:31 -0300
Fernando Cassia <fcassia at gmail.com> wrote:

> Is there any FOSS bitmap editor with a command line, allowing me to
> experiment with, for instance, the circle drawing function and specify
> the circle´s position on screen, and size (radius)?.
>
> Suppose you need to take a given bitmap, and draw over it 40 circles,
> spaced "x" pixels apart, starting at positions x,y for the first
> circle, and make it antialiased and 2 px wide, with -for instance- a
> 50 px radius each.
>
> Of course doing this by hand, using the mouse pointer, is very
> difficult, so I need something that lets me manually specify the
> coordinates and starting position for each circle drawn.
>
> I´ve got GIMP-phobia so please don´t tell me GIMP. ;) I´m looking for
> something like Paint Shop Pro on the windows world (which is what I
> normally use for bitmap editing, under WINE), or, well, Deluxe Paint
> on the Amiga. ;-)

Well everyone uses gimp I think. It has a python scripted interface and
some others so you never really need to touch the UI side

You could also use openscad and then save as a bitmap. It's really
intended for 3D work but it can do programmatic 2D work.

Or you could write a program to do it, it's not hard and all the horrible
file load/save stuff is handled by libraries that are easy to use.

Alan