fedora 17 no wireless

Joel Rees joel.rees at gmail.com
Fri Jan 18 13:41:53 UTC 2013

On Wed, Jan 16, 2013 at 10:11 PM, Joel Rees <joel.rees at gmail.com> wrote:
> First time to try to use wireless since installing F17. Connects, but
> doesn't succeed at authorizing. Keeps trying to authorize for several
> minutes, then gives up.
>
> /var/log/messages shows stuff like
>
> NetworkManager[483]: <info> (wlan0): device state change: disconnected
> -> prepare (reason 'none') [30 40 0]
>
> tries again and says things like
>
>     ... has security, but secrets are required
>
>     ... has security, and secrets exist. No new secrets required.
>
> Various stuff added,
>
>     ... Stage 2 of 5 (Device Configure) complete.
>
>     ... Config: set interface ap_scan to 1
>
>     ... supplicant interface state: disconnected -> scanning
>
> scanning, authenticating, associating, handshake completed, beginning
> IP6 addrconf, and
>
>     avahi-daemon[514]: Withdrawing address record for (IPv6 address, I
> think) on wlan0.
>
> IPv6 scheduled, started, completed, DHCPv4 request timed out. canceled
> DHCP transaction, and
>
>     ... wlan0: deauthenticating from (MAC address) by local choice (reason=3)
>     ... <info> (wlan0): device state change: ip-config -> failed
> (reason 'ip-config-unavailable') [70 120 5]
>
> and so forth.
>
> I'm going to try to set up /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf by
> hand when I have time tomorrow, but I'm curious as to why I would need
> to do the set up by hand for F17 when F16 just did its thing and it
> worked.

Found a thread suggesting IPv6 as one possible cause of this sort of
behavior, so I disabled it (/etc/sysctl.conf, I think) and got rid of
the IPv6 messages in the log. That made it clear that DHCP was timing
out, so I just set a static address, and the problem is solved for me.
(I prefer not to use DHCP, anyway.)

--
Joel Rees