A Look at Fedora 18

David dgboles at gmail.com
Fri Jan 18 14:46:40 UTC 2013

On 1/18/2013 7:54 AM, Tim wrote:
> On Thu, 2013-01-17 at 23:28 +0000, Ian Malone wrote:
>> In F17 I don't get the session chooser unless there are alternative
>> desktops available[1]. I think it's the GDM login I've got, but could
>> be wrong. Michael Schwendt's comment could be the package that
>> registers Mate.
>
> I'll try that in a little while.  I'd thought that the lack of
> alternative desktops might be a cause for their being no chooser show
> up, but shouldn't having Gnome and Mate installed constitute a choice of
> desktops?

You will not be offered a choice of desktops unless you have more than
one installed. From the way you describe what you have done you do not
have the Mate desktop installed. Just a few pieces of it. Look here.

yum grouplist

In the list you should see  Mate Desktop  in the Available Environment
Groups: section. If you had it installed it would be in the Installed
Groups: section.

yum groupinstall "Mate Desktop"  (note the quote marks)

wait for the list and the y/N

say yes  :-)

logout, When you enter the login you should be offered a choice of desktops.

--

  David