Fedora-18 installation from KDE Live USB

Timothy Murphy gayleard at eircom.net
Fri Jan 18 16:44:48 UTC 2013

I installed the Fedora-18 KDE Live CD on a USB stick, with
sudo livecd-iso-to-disk --format --reset-mbr /tmp/Fedora-18*.iso /dev/sdb1

(I tried first with liveusb-creator but on re-booting with this USB stick
I got the message "Missing operating system".)

In any case I clicked on "Install on Hard Disk".
This did not see my WiFi connection
(Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG on a Thinkpad T60).
But that was not fatal, and I was allowed to continue.

However, what was much more off-putting
was that after giving a hostname for the laptop
I seemed to be told that my hard disk
would be "automatically partitioned".
As I wanted to install Fedora-18 on a spare partition,
keeping Fedora-17 as an option, this was unwelcome news.

Has there in fact been a change in the Hard Disk installation from KDE Live?
As I recall, with Fedora-17 (and before) one could opt for "Custom Layout".
Has this been removed?

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net