Input method in Qt and Java apps

Nuno Ferreira self at nunof.eu
Fri Jan 18 17:56:56 UTC 2013

Hello,

I'm a Portuguese user and, in FC18 (after upgrade from FC17), I no
longer have correct keyboard input in Qt apps (Nixnote and Skype). Gnome
apps are ok.

imsettings-list
   1: IBus[ibus.conf] (recommended)
   2: X compose table[xcompose.conf]
   3: im-cedilla[im-cedilla.conf]

$ imsettings-info
Xinput file: /etc/X11/xinit/xinput.d/none.conf
GTK+ immodule: gtk-im-context-simple
Qt immodule: xim
XMODIFIERS: @im=none
XIM server:
Preferences:
Auxiliary:
Short Description: none
Long Description:
Icon file: imsettings-unknown
Is system default: FALSE
Is user default: TRUE
Is XIM server: FALSE

im-chooser shows no input method selected. If I try to choose, I get the
following error box:
Failed to switch Input Method
GDBus.Error:org.gtk.GDBus.UnmappedGError.Quark._imsettings_2derror_2dquark.Code5:
Current desktop isn't targeted by Input Method.

I don't much about ibus, but it seems ibus-daemon is not running, maybe
it should be. I tried running it manually but it seems to make no
difference.

So, I guess I'm stuck and need help to solve this...

TIA,
Nuno