Install FC18 on laptop? Wifi woes

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Fri Jan 18 17:56:08 UTC 2013

Ranjan Maitra wrote:
> Are you able to follow these instructions?
>
> https://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/users/2013-January/428974.html
>
> I wondered if the problem is that the RPMfusion broadcom-wl is not up
> to date.

I believe that the opposite is true, the kernel in the Live-CD is so old that
the matching drivers are no longer readily found on rpmfusion. The current
packages match a kernel newer than the one on the Live-CD or install DVD.

Thanks for the link, unfortunately installing thing not in the distro requires
downloading the packages. It's Catch-22, if I had network connectivity I could
download the things I need to get network connectivity. But then I wouldn't need
to...

I can download to external media, but that gets ugly, complex, and vastly
time-consuming. Install a package, find out what else it needs, repeat indefinitely.

Again, thanks for the help.