Installer inadequacies

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Fri Jan 18 18:37:10 UTC 2013

Am 18.01.2013 19:26, schrieb Bill Davidsen:
> After reading this, and the first reply to it, I will cease trying to install fc18 on my laptop. "New for the sake
> of being different" is a way of life in Fedora, and I find that the need to have the latest is the only objective
> being given value, while no thought is being given to preserving the value of experience gained by current users. I
> suspect that most users of any new release are already users of some previous release, why change to some new way
> of doing things which is (a) less functional, (b) offers benefit only or mostly to new installations, and (c)
> appears to lack even a hint of convenience to those who have been installing Fedora (and before that Redhat) for
> decades.

becasue many changes are from developers get bored if things are
working for a longer time and so they find it cool to throw all
away without any thoughts for backward compatibility of interfaces

3 releases later they feel like heros because the list of fixed
and improved things is expressive while ignroing that most of
the fixes and ipmrovements are regressions from 3 releases ago
and finally they are often at the same level as things were
years ago and the wasted time and energy of the users beats
the rest of minimal improvements at all

this works only because most people are short brained and
tend to forget how things worked 3 or 5 years ago and so there
are enough users who are happy after the 3 years stabilizations

sad, but this is the truth in software-development in the last years
only few projects like postfix care about sustainability