Installer inadequacies

Ondrej Majerech oxyd.oxyd at gmail.com
Sat Jan 19 00:20:33 UTC 2013

On 18 January 2013 23:40, Roger <arelem at bigpond.com> wrote:

> On 01/19/2013 09:13 AM, David A. De Graaf wrote:

>>  It's simple, I had no problems, it just worked and I have a perfectly
> good Fedora 18
> Roger

I also used it to install Fedora 18 onto a system with pre-existing
partitions. I wanted it to newfs the old / partition that had contained F17
root on it, mount and not wipe my /home, /boot, /boot/efi and swap, and not
touch the Windows partition. These are all GPT partitions at that.

What you do is that you choose the manual partitioning, then click each
partition you want to use, and tick the "mount" checkbox (and tick the
"wipe" checkbox, if you want to do that). The list of partitions under
"Fedora 18" header on the left-hand side should fill up with the partitions
that you want.

I have to agree that UI-wise it is a disaster, though. For one thing, the
UI was very unexpected to me, and while I enjoy the change in the rest of
the installer UI, I prefer to know exactly what I'm doing when it comes to
partitioning. I didn't really know what I was doing this time; I clicked
random stuff, hoped that it would work, and it did.

It would be very welcome if the installer at least showed me some review of
the changes to the partitions it was going to do. You know, that simple
table every other GUI partitioning tool I have ever used shows you before
touching your drive: "I'm going to mount /dev/sda5 to /, and put a shiny
new ext4fs on it; I'm going to mount /dev/sda4 to /boot, /dev/sda1 to
/boot/efi, /dev/sda7 to /home, /dev/sda6 as swap and not wipe any of these.
Is this what you want? [Yes, proceed] [No, no, oh god, no! Let me change
that!]". This simple summary of changes would have made me a lot more
comfortable with the new installer experience.

That's at least as far as I'm concerned. Fortunately, I don't have RAID or
encrypted partitions.