Use existing Partition without formatting when installing F18?

Ranjan Maitra maitra.mbox.ignored at inbox.com
Sat Jan 19 15:35:17 UTC 2013

On Sat, 19 Jan 2013 15:05:36 +0000 Timothy Murphy <gayleard at eircom.net>
wrote:

> Joachim Backes wrote:
>
> > I have to agree Oncaphillis, it's really difficult to find out and
> > select the right way to install F18 without overwriting the
> > information of some partitions and the disk partitioning scheme of
> > target disk(s).
>
> Is the Custom Install option,
> where you specify the partition layout you want,
> no longer available?
> It didn't seem to be offered with the F-18 KDE Live CD,
> after clicking on "Install to Hard Disk".

In the LXDE case, there is a counter-intuitive button you have to click
to get to this "partition layout" stage after the second screen, but not
much came out of it for me.

In my case, I have a 10GB / partition currently hosting F17, a swap
partition with 2x memory space, a small 2GB /tmp partition, a
smaller /usr/local partition and a giant /home partition. What the
installer offered (custom install be damned) was to install everything
in the free space. I tried erasing the /, the /tmp, the swap, etc but
it still would not let me decide on how much I was allowed for these.
Specifically, no matter what I tried, I got a 5GB partition for / (too
small IMO for the future), a 4 GB for swap, and 1 GB for /tmp.
Theoretically erasing the partitions to obtain free space appeared to
have no effect.

I tried with LXDE spin: all this went away when I decided to bite the
bullet, backed up /home and then reformatted the whole thing. However,
I do not want to do this for all my other computers so was wondering
what options I have.

I may mention that all my partitions are ext4: this may be a
contributing factor? In any case, how do I get around this?

Ranjan