Switch to KDE on Fedora 18

Bill Oliver vendor at billoblog.com
Sun Jan 20 00:16:44 UTC 2013

Well, I don't know about F18 release, but I installed F18 beta and assume that I have the same thing as F18 release since I've been updating.

The way I did it was pretty naive, perhaps, but it worked.  I did the following:

1) Installed from the gnome CD.
2) Installed apper (which installed a bunch of kde stuff as
dependencies)
3) Used apper to search for KDE and then just hit "install" on a few basic kde packages and a few kde apps.  Apper then decided that there were a zillion kde dependencies.  I installed all of them.

I then googled on how to set it as my default (I forget which file I edited, but it was straightforward).

Ta daah!

Of course, doing it this way doesn't install *all* the kde-associated apps, but it got the desktop up.  After that, I just went to apper again and clicked on all the kde stuff I wanted to add.

billo