Installer inadequacies

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Sun Jan 20 00:58:01 UTC 2013

Am 20.01.2013 01:47, schrieb Paolo Galtieri:
> It's not just because of the installer. Since the installer is so bad what other features have they compromised
> on. The F18 feature set includes MATE Desktop, but there is no option to install this.

says who?
_____________________________

[root at srv-rhsoft:~]$ LANG=C; yum groups list | grep -i mate
MATE Desktop

yum groups install "MATE Desktop"

Install  238 Packages (+224 Dependent packages)
Total download size: 276 M
Installed size: 928 M
Is this ok [y/N]
_____________________________

so it's a suers problem not one of Fedora if YOU can't install it
the 238 packages here are only because i have no single unused package
installed and do not touch any GNOME crap at all

> My experience has shown
> that a release really isn't stable for several months after release.

mine has shown the opposite and i have more than 20
fedora sverers in PRODUCTION over years and using
Fedora for anything since 2006

> I've been running F16 on one of my systems for several months and I still believe the Gnome 2 UI on F14 is much
> better than what is available in F16. I don't like Gnome 3 and KDE on F16 is not much of an improvement.

but that is NO REASON tu use a non supported OS
maybe YOU are using the wrong distribution FOR YOU at all
CentOS 6 will have GNOME2 for many years

> The feature I like on F14 which is impossible to find on F16 is the "Locations" feature that is displayed when you
> click on the clock in Gnome 2 on F14.  It allows me to predefine locations that I travel to and then all I have to
> do is select one of those predefined locations and the clock, timezone and other features are set for that location.

that does not change the fact that it is careless to use a OS which
doe snot get any security ipdates for more than a year