lvm or btrfs? which is preferable (when, if applicable)

Ranjan Maitra maitra.mbox.ignored at inbox.com
Sun Jan 20 01:00:29 UTC 2013

On Sun, 20 Jan 2013 01:50:34 +0100 Reindl Harald
<h.reindl at thelounge.net> wrote:

> Am 20.01.2013 01:45, schrieb Ranjan Maitra:
> > F18 appears to give two options for installing from scratch: lvm or
> > btrfs. Which one is better from the point of view of the longer-term.
> >
> > My current HDDs are ext4s. I switched then because I understood that
> > this was the future.
>
> BTRFS is NOT prodction ready
>
> there is a reason why multiple times was decided
> not make it the default FS and i would not use it
> currently because my data are to important
>
> i tested it in a VM some time ago
> convert from ext4 to ntrafs was easy
>
> some kernel upĆ¼dates later it was not possible to mount
> the test-disk and so i rebootet with the last working
> one to backup data, re-format with ext4 and this was
> the last time for a very long time for me to try BTRFS
> at all . my data are too important, it is not really faster
> and in many environments you will have really perofromance
> troubles with BTRFS (virtualization as exapple)
>
> for zero or small benefit risk data - no thanks

Thanks again for your quick response.

OK, so you are suggesting I move to lvm, or leave things as is, to ext4?
The new installer does not give me an option to format ext4 (but I can
keep it as is, I guess).

How does one convert from ext4 to lvm? Is there any benefit to moving
to lvm?

Thanks very much!
Ranjan

--
Important Notice: This mailbox is ignored: e-mails are set to be
deleted on receipt. For those needing to send personal or professional