Grub2 installation after upgrading to F18

Matthew Saltzman mjs at clemson.edu
Sun Jan 20 14:37:40 UTC 2013

On Sat, 2013-01-19 at 17:37 +0000, Jorge Martínez López wrote:
> Hi!
>
> 2013/1/19 Matthew Saltzman <mjs at clemson.edu>
>
> > I have two machines with atypical disk layouts that I am upgrading to
> > F18.  (So far, I've upgraded three using fedup network with no
> > significant issues other than this question.)
> >
> >      1. I have a machine with two drives and software RAID 1.  Do I need
> >         to do anything special as far as installing grub2 on the second
> >         drive?  Do I need to bother at all?
> >

> I have the same setup and every time there is a grub update I run:
> # grub2-install /dev/sda
> # grub2-install /dev/sdb
> being /dev/sda and /dev/sdb the two hard drives in the RAID. It is
> important to install grub on /dev/sdb too because if /dev/sda fails your
> system will not boot.

Thanks for this advice.  Now I still need an answer to my other
question.  On the RAID1 disks on this machine, as on my laptop, I
installed grub on /boot (/dev/sda2) rather than on the MBR.  (On my
laptop, it's because I wanted to preserve the Windows MBR, but on this
machine, it was just force of habit.)  So /dev/sda2 is the active
partition.

So is it safe to install grub2 on /dev/sda2 (say) or should it be
installed on the MBR?  Or is there a way to tell of the former is OK for
a particular configuration?  If the latter, what partition should I make
active?

TIA.

--
Matthew Saltzman