[OT] Folders under INBOX (re: g)

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Sun Jan 20 15:18:12 UTC 2013

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IMAP_IDLE

>>> which tree structure is reflected to the other?
>>
>> uhm?
>>
>> the whole structure is on the server as also the mails
>> there is no "the other" at all
>
> in other words, email client reflects what is on server and email
> client user does not have to build structure in client?

he can not build structure on the client
anything you do happens on the server

> emails are on server because it is the server.  but as i recall, they
> are downloaded to client and deleted from server if so configured.

please google the dfiffernce ebtween IMAP and POP3

> years ago, when i was using imap, i filtered on my client, not on
> server.

surely, you can configure your client to move around messages
between folders like for local ones, but that would be a dumb
solution if your server supports sieve because if you are on
a different client like smartphone and your client with the
filters has to run the whole time or no filtering

it is much more effective filter messages in folders via sieve
on the server which affects any client everywhere and saves
bandwith - usually filtering in the client is copy the message
to the destination folder and remove it after that from the old
one, this is not fast, no efficient and wasting bandwith and last
but not least makes all the troubles with the thunderbird indexes
especially if different clients are connected at the same time

maybe you should consider reading wikipedia and references how
IMAP works because your questions are showing you missed it