Installer inadequacies

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Mon Jan 21 00:07:38 UTC 2013

Tim:
>> Hiding it is an idiocy promulgated by dimwits who have no idea what
>> they're talking about.

Tom Horsley:
> Actually hiding it is a small mercy which can benefit your
> neighbors, otherwise when they try to connect something
> to their router, they see a dozen SSIDs all named "LINKSYS" :-).

It's a *false* *belief* that hiding it does you any good.

Your router still announces itself, it just doesn't show up with a name
on the list.  Some clients won't put you on the list, others will list
you as "unnamed".  So, you're still at the mercy of the twits who'd hack
you.  And good luck when two, or more, foolish neighbours think it's a
good idea to be unnamed hidden SSIDs, and none of you can pick the right
ones.  You're still at the mercy of the neighbour running their WLAN on
the same channel, and jamming you (accidentally, or on purpose).

The sensible thing to do is to set it to something unique.  And probably
to something dull, if you're still obsessed about people wanting to
connect who shouldn't (but that's what encryption is for).

Turn the damn thing on, give it a unique name.  That's how it's supposed
to be done.  If *you* break networking, expect your networking to not
work.

And there's no such thing as security by obscurity.

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -rsvp
Linux 3.6.11-1.fc17.x86_64 #1 SMP Mon Dec 17 22:16:35 UTC 2012 x86_64

public lists.