Installer inadequacies

Eddie G. O'Connor Jr. eoconnor25 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 21 01:07:57 UTC 2013

On 01/18/2013 01:26 PM, Bill Davidsen wrote:
> David A. De Graaf wrote:
>> Fedora 18.
>>
>> What a disaster!  What were they thinking when they threw away a
>> perfectly good installer and inflicted this new User Interface on us?
>> Whoever decided to reinvent disk partitioning and embed it in this
>> installer should be taken out to the woodshed and whupped.  Has
>> everyone forgotten the dictum that each program should do one thing
>> and do it well?  Reinventing disk partitioning here is a total disaster.
>> It isn't nearly as good as fdisk, gparted and a host of other perfectly
>> usable programs.
>>
> After reading this, and the first reply to it, I will cease trying to
> install fc18 on my laptop. "New for the sake of being different" is a
> way of life in Fedora, and I find that the need to have the latest is
> the only objective being given value, while no thought is being given
> to preserving the value of experience gained by current users. I
> suspect that most users of any new release are already users of some
> previous release, why change to some new way of doing things which is
> (a) less functional, (b) offers benefit only or mostly to new
> installations, and (c) appears to lack even a hint of convenience to
> those who have been installing Fedora (and before that Redhat) for
> decades.
>
>> I have been unable to use my existing partitions as I wish.
>
> The chorus sings "Amen!!"
>
>> I have a pretty simple laptop configuration:
>>    /dev/sda1    /boot        .5 GB
>>    /dev/sda2    Windows     3.7 GB
>>    /dev/sda3    extended
>>     /dev/sda5   /          20. GB     encrypted
>>     /dev/sda6   /f16       20. GB     encrypted
>>     /dev/sda7   /home     109. GB     encrypted
>>     /dev/sda8   swap        1.5 GB    encrypted
>>
>> Note that /boot is not encrypted but all the other Linux partitions
>> are.  There are two root partitions that I use in a ping-pong fashion
>> to hold the latest and prior Fedora systems.  The boot menu allows
>> either kernel to be booted, which used to be easy with grub, but has
>> become nightmarishly difficult with grub2.  Either kernel uses the
>> same /home and swap.
>>
> My setup exactly.
>
>> Installing F18, I intended to switch /dev/sda6 to /, and save
>> /dev/sda5 as /f17.  But the installer wouldn't allow it.
>>

>> I will repeat here the setup and selection process to document the
>> failures.
>>
> At this point, I'll stop saying "Me, too" and just say that this is
> the unfriendliest and least intuitive partitioning setup I have ever
> used, thinking that putting a GUI on an ill-designed process makes it
> somehow easy to use is a perfect example of "lipstick on a pig" thinking.
>>
>> When I entered the Storage/Installation Destination (with no disks
>> selected) I selected the sole disk available for installation, an ATA
>> WDC WD1600BEVE-1, and a big blue area became highlighted.
>> I checked the box saying "Encrypt my data, I'll set a passphrase
> [...]
WOW!......I think I will wait for the next iteration of Fedora (19....or
maybe even 20!) before upgrading! I realize that the latest and greatest
are fun to play with, but I don't just "play" with this machine...I also
WORK with it and hence I cannot afford to have anything untoward or
unseemly happen to the disk that holds my documents and such, (I also
realize a backup would preserve my setup now as it is safely and without
harm, and I /_do_/ backup my drive...religiously!) But I just don't
think I want to go through the headache of having to scour mailing lists
or forums just to have my sound return....or to be able to do something
that I am able to do now with no problems....I'm sure F19 will come with
it's OWN set of issues, but at least by then I'll have gotten ahold of
some newer hardware that will be memory maxed...along with a bigger
HD...(right now I'm pretty much riding along with a 320GB SATA HD!) I
plan on getting a hold of something that will accomodate 8GB of
memory...and I'm thinking I might try for a 1TB drive...but if that's
not feasible I will get a 500GB and ride that along until the next
version comes out as well. As for right now, I have way too much riding
on this laptop to just go and fudge things up right now....so patience
will prevail...I MIGHT get F18 after another 5 months....because I'm
sure by then they'll have worked out a lot of the kinks...and handled as
many bugs as possible!.....but for right now..I think its pretty much a
done deal...I'm "frozen" at F17 until 19 comes out!

EGO II