Installer inadequacies

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Mon Jan 21 06:11:24 UTC 2013

Tim wrote:
> On Sat, 2013-01-19 at 14:50 -0700, Paolo Galtieri wrote:
>> Another idiocy in the F18 installer is that there is no way to
>> configure wireless connectivity if the WAP does not broadcast its
>> SSID. Clicking on the configure button does nothing unless you select
>> an entry from the drop down list.  You don't even get a message saying
>> you need to select a wireless connection.
>
> Yeah, well, when you break networking by not broadcasting the SSID, what
> do you expect?

Actually "missing capability formerly working in previous releases" is not quite
the same thing as "breaking networking," and on a related note, broadcasting an
SSID which does not contain printing characters in YOUR character set isn't "not
broadcasting the SSID." Yes, I have slightly broadened the discussion, that was
what some WAP I have used did when no SSID was provided.

> SSID is a normal, and expected, part of wireless networking.
> Hiding it is not a security solution, of any kind.

There is no "a security solution," layered security includes many things, no one
of which can be considered a solution.

When this discussion came up the years ago I actually set up two retired
unsecured 801.11b WAP  (not connected to anything important), one called NODE41
and one using all blanks. They were next to a college dorm. NODE41 got over
hiding SSID, though before canned scripts and strong encryption there may have
been some benefit, just a data point.

> Hiding it is an idiocy promulgated by dimwits who have no idea what
> they're talking about.

If my points are so weak that I have to resort to calling names, I avoid making
them. That's why I actually checked to see if there was any difference.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>